Module 5 – Moving and Maneuvering
The goal of this module discuss the various configurations available for ROV design. Configurations from three thruster ROVs all the way through eight thruster ROVs will be covered.
Upon completion of this module, the student should be able to:
- Describe the operation of a three-thruster ROV
- Utilize vector math to calculate the effective thrust of a vectored thruster.
- Compare the difference between two different four thruster configurations.
- Select commercial or student designed thrusters.
- Describe the difference between a Brushed DC motor and Brushless DC motor
- Utilize the Trelleborg O-ring software for housing sealing
- Standard 3 Thruster ROV
- Four Thrusters – Vectored
- Four Thrusters – Straight
- Six Thrusters
- Eight Thrusters
Commercially available thrusters
- ROV Thrusters
- Bilge Pump Thrusters
Fabricating custom thrusters
- Brushed Motor Description
- Brushless Motors Description
- Motor Controller Selection
- Heat Transfer
More Advanced Ideas:
- Vector Math Tutorial
- Vector Algebra
- Motor Tutorial 1
- DC Motor Theory
- DC Motor Components
- Brushless DC Motor Theory
- Brushless DC Motor Control