Module 11 - Computer Control: Intro to Programming
This module will introduce the student to LabVIEW programming concepts using the Arduino processor and the MATE ROV Control System. Students will develop a basic processing loop to read and input and turn and output on and off as dictated by the input state.
Upon completion of this module, the student should be able to:
- Develop a basic processing loop.
- Read the state of an input pin and control and output based upon that state.
- Incorporate a delay timer in the processing loop.
- Add a sub-VI to the main processing loop.
Introduction to LabVIEW concepts and terms
- Virtual instruments (VI)
- Front Panel
- Block Diagram
- Data types
- Formula Node
Develop a LabVIEW VI
- Basic processing loop
- Turning outputs on/off
- Delay timers
- Computer with LabVIEW 2011 and LabVIEW Interface for Arduino (LIFA) tookit installed.
- Arduino Uno connected to the computer via USB and driver installed.
- 1- LED with series resistor
- 1- normally closed pushbutton switch with breadboard leads
- push_on_off.vi (right-click and "save as" then unzip)
- LIFA_Base3 - modified to initialize hardware to keep PWM off at startup.
More Advanced Ideas:
Use the native Arduino programming language, an adaptation of C/C++, to write a similar program as the one outlined in the above handout.
- LabView Interface for Arduino (LIFA) community
- National Instruments (NI) Youtube video on LabVIEW Interface for Arduino (LIFA)
- YouTube search of LIFA