MATE Center Mission
MATE’s mission is to use marine technology to inspire and challenge students to learn and creatively apply science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) to solving real-world problems in a way that strengthens critical thinking, collaboration, entrepreneurship, and innovation. A hallmark of all MATE’s programs, products, and services is that they are aligned with ocean workforce research and trends.
The Center has five major, synergistic goals to accomplish this mission:
- Goal 1: Expand and strengthen academic and industry partnerships and align academic programs with workforce needs.
- Goal 2: Research ocean workforce trends, disseminate innovative educational products based on those trends, and encourage the integration of entrepreneurial practices into program activities.
- Goal 3: Provide opportunities for students and faculty to collaborate with industry and working professionals.
- Goal 4: Provide professional development for college and secondary school faculty.
- Goal 5: Maintain an information clearinghouse.